Hi! Thank you for your interest in proposing a project. We are taking into consideration any project that meets the project guidelines below. Funds ranging from $0 to $1,500 have been allotted per applicant. Please take advantage of this opportunity and let us help you make your idea a reality!
Direct any general questions and/or completed applications to the rei email at: (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Spring deadline: April 25th
Fall deadline: November 25th
Funding received is for the following semester
For a project to proceed forward, prospective grantees must demonstrate how the project strives to reduce the environmental impact of Appalachian State University in at least one of the following ways:
- By implementing renewable energy technologies
- Examples: small scale solar panels, wind and hydro, etc.
- Project examples: A small wind turbine for a research facility, research funding for renewable energy technology
- Investing in energy efficiency projects
- Examples: direct energy reduction through technological improvements, reductions in material usage (that directly relates to greenhouse gas emissions), building efficiency improvements, etc.
- Project examples: Better insulation, airsealing, window replacements, light sensors, hydroponic watering system for garden or greenhouse, more efficient agricultural tool for SD farm, etc.
- Promoting campus engagement
- Examples: Education on reducing environmental impact, education on current environmental impact, etc.
- Project Examples: Lettuce learn garden, seminar on reducing environmental footprint, instructional climate change materials for kids or college students, creation of dashboard for REI projects, signage around campus, book readings, etc. (indirect reduction of the environmental impact of the university)
** Projects must incorporate direct student involvement and/or professional development for student participants and are required to take place on ASU property. Careful consideration should be paid to how the students of Appalachian benefit from this project. **
All applicants are strongly encouraged to review Appalachian State's sustainability mission and/or strategic plan to align their project goals and outcomes. Both can be found here: https://sustain.appstate.edu/mission/, http://www.appstate.edu/about/strategic-plan/.
Applicants are also encouraged to demonstrate how their project or focus area has a local connection to Watauga County, Western NC , or the Appalchian Region. Any projects that are able to make a "Local to Global" sustainability connection will be given special consideration in awarding grants.
Direct any general questions and/or completed applications to the chair at (email@example.com)